Mar 25, 2013

The Passover Meal

In honor of Holy Week, each day we'll focus one of the moments of Jesus' passion.
 


As they were eating, Jesus took a loaf of bread and asked God’s blessing on it.
Then He broke it in pieces and gave it to the disciples, saying, “Take it and eat it, for this is my body.”
And He took a cup of wine and gave thanks to God for it. He gave it to them and said,
“Each of you drink from it, for this is my blood, which seals the covenant between God and His people.
It is poured out to forgive the sins of many.  Mark my words, I will not drink wine again until the day
I drink it new with you in My Father’s Kingdom.”
Then they sang a hymn and went out to the Mount of Olives (Gethsemane).
 

People under the old covenant (those who lived before Jesus) could approach God
only through a priest and an animal sacrifice. Here Jesus is telling His disciples about
the approaching new covenant which His blood will seal. 

Today, we take of the bread and the cup, called communion, as a reminder that because
of Jesus’ sacrifice, we can commune directly with God. We can also be thankful for the
promise of His return. 

Reference: Matthew 26:26-30

 

No comments: