Jul 16, 2009

Redeemd:1 at Gallery @ Common Grounds

The Gallery @ Common Grounds
Check out the graffiti artwork of Redeemd:1, Ramon Trevino in the coffee bar at Living Word Community Church. Exhibit runs from July 19 - August 23, 2009


"The Heart Behind the Art" ~ Ramon Trevino

I call myself a Graffiti Fine-Artist. My roots as an artist are in graffiti, but I also enjoy using other mediums and styles of painting. I started drawing around the age of 10. I watched my older brother draw and he really inspired me. When I was around 12, I moved to Lancaster City, PA from Pasadena, TX and, being influenced by the “City Hip Hop” lifestyle, my attention was quickly drawn to graffiti art. There was something about drawing letters, twisting and bending them, and using spray paint to color and blend them in different styles, that attracted me; it seemed like the possibilities for designs were endless. When I was 14 or so I moved to Florida for one school year. Often, we traveled to Miami and I was captivated by the huge murals along the highway; that became my inspiration and motivation to begin to pursue graffiti art. I began to buy paint and I rode around on my bicycle painting the backside of mini malls. At that time my art represented “being the best” or just being “creative.”
Shortly after that school year we moved back to PA where I got into drugs and chasing girls. I stopped doing art for a while because I was so distracted by trying to find out who I was. On rare occasions when I drew, it was very dark and mostly related to drugs or other immoral things. This went on through high school, which I barely passed. Surprisingly, in 1996 I was accepted to an art school. It was there that I developed a taste for drinking, drug use, and unhealthy relationships. Finally, I reached the end of myself. I began attending church once again and in 1997 I decided to live for Jesus. I joined the Marines later that year and halfway through my four-year tour God gave me a vision which unlocked my buried desire to be a graffiti artist.

Back in the day my graffiti name was “Wasted: 1” inspired by my poor lifestyle. While walking the streets of Waikiki, HI, I shared with my wife the new desire I had to become a graffiti artist. However, now living for Jesus, my art had to be different because I was different. I had to come up with a new name, so we started rattling off positive words that had to do with our faith in Jesus. And so was birthed “Redeemd: 1” and spelled wrong because I had to be creatively different. I’m also known as “Red: 1,” for short.

I didn’t know what it would look like, but I knew I loved Jesus and I loved graffiti art. As a young child I always had this dream of being an artist, and during the last five years God awakened that dream in me once again. Up until this point I always thought of my art as a “nice Christian hobby,” but after attending a weekend seminar on God-given destiny I realized that He had bigger plans for me. This came while I was pastoring youth and I struggled with my identity. Finally, after months of prayer, life-coaching, and soul-searching, God gave my wife and me the green light to step out and pursue the dream He had given me as a child to be a full-time artist.
What is the dream that’s lingering in your heart?
Ramon Trevino, Redeemd:1


No comments: