Mar 27, 2013

In Denial




In the darkness, the flickering light of a warm campfire lit up Peter’s face just enough for
one of the high priest’s servant girls to say,

“You were one of those with Jesus, the Nazarene.”
Peter said, “I don’t know what you are talking about.” The rooster crowed. 

“That man is definitely one of them!” Peter denied it again. 

A bit later some others said to Peter,
“You must be one of them because you are from Galilee.” 

Peter said,
“I swear by God, I don’t know this man you’re talking about.”
And immediately the rooster crowed the second time.
Suddenly, Jesus’ words flashed through Peter’s mind:
“Before the rooster crows twice, you will deny me three times.”
And Peter broke down and cried.

 

Despite Peter’s many failures, Jesus loved him, just as He loves each of us,
despite our failures.  

In fact, in John 21: 15-19, when Jesus appears to the disciples after resurrection,
He challenges Peter, asking him three times if he loves Him. Three times Peter
replied, “Yes, Lord, you know I love You.” Jesus replied, “Then feed my sheep.”

Jesus reinstated Peter.
 
 
Reference: Mark 14:66-72

No comments: