Aug 18, 2009

Crazy River Hike

Okay, so I've been sick with bronchitis and a wicked sinus infection for the past three weeks. I've taken so many sick days from work that I had to tap into my vacation time. Needless to say, I was crazy tired of being cooped up in my house. So, Saturday, my husband and I went down to the Holtwood Dam area for a little fresh air and sunlight. Of course I took my camera, with anticipation of a leisurely walk along the river bank. However, my husband, the mega-adventurer, dragged me all over the place - through thick brush, over walls made of rock, across water, and up gigantic rocks. Before I knew it - we were on a rock island in the middle of the Susquehanna. I was exhausted from the wild hike. He kept on going as I perched myself on the sun-slathered hot rock, absent of any shade. The good news is that there were countless photo opportunities!

The photo above is from a little pool of water on TOP of this super high rock. Either the river gushed with flood waters recently or this is a gathering of rain water. I don't know. As I pondered this, a siren blared down the canyon. It was then that I recalled all the "DANGER" signs on the way in. Yes, when you hear that siren, you MUST exit the low lying areas of the river because they are about to release water from the dam. Being paranoid that I was going to die on that rock, my common sense kicked in, "This rock is too high, I'll just be stranded here, surrounded on all sides with raging river water. All while my husband is God-knows-where, hiking on other mysterious rock islands."
A little punch of life growing out from the solid rock. Intriguing how plants can find ways to take root in materials other than the forgiving soil.

A view from my rock island - looking upstream to the Holtwood Dam. The siren was correct, water began to pour over the spillway... not a good feeling. But it makes for pretty photo! The road above is Route 372.

Inside one of the rock-top pools were these ity-bity lillypads (or something like that.) They were so cute and delicate. Taking advantage of the direct sunlight and growing happily.

Standing on the river's edge, I snapped this shot. I really like the bold colors of the green grass and the bluest of blue on the bridge. It was a gorgeous, yet HOT, day. It was fun watching my husband jumping from rock to rock, as if he was reliving moments from his childhood. And good thing - the sirens for the water release - I never noticed a difference in the water levels...
OH, I don't have the image here, but we did see a beautiful bald eagle soaring overhead. I was so mesmerized by it's grandeur that I forgot to snap a photo. But after a few minutes, it graced us with his presence again, and I have an image of it. Albeit, it's not great - but you can see clearly that it's a bald eagle. Maybe I'll post that photo later this week.
Never stop getting out and experiencing the beauty that surrounds us.
grace & peace ~ deAnn
All photos in this post are copyrighted (c) 2009 by deAnn Roe of Vertical Creativity.




1 comment:

R Cody said...

deann, u may also access this area from below the bridge by kayak. its really a splendid ride into the cliffs--then u get out and climb all over

andy

(not cody)