Dec 1, 2011

I Played My Best for Him


Yes, it's only December 1st and I'll be honest, I began listening to Christas music on Thanksgiving. Christmas music has really been speaking to me. Lyrics I've heard over and over have become mute to my ears and heart. Sure I sing along merrily, but I rarely take in the rich lyrics as I have in recent years. However, God really captured my emotions when the familiar song, "Little Drummer Boy" came on my Pandora Christmas Radio Songs station. I've always dismissed the song, only hearing the prominent "pa rum pum pum pum" segments. But this time, I really listened the lyrics. Actually they went straight to my heart. I'd like to share them with you, minus the "pa rum pum pum pum's."
Come they told me,
A new born King to see,
Our finest gifts we bring,
To lay before the King.


So to honor Him,
When we come.

Little baby,
I am a poor boy too,
I have no gift to bring,
That's fit to give the King.


Shall I play for you
On my drum?


Mary nodded,
The ox and lamb kept time,
I played my drum for Him,
I played my best for Him.

Then He smiled at me,
Me and my drum.

At The Studio in December of 2009, I passed out these lyrics to everyone. We read through them quietly and shared anything that stood out. Some stated that they never took note of the lyrics before and really liked them. Others made mention of certain parts of the song, "I have no gift to bring, that's fit for the King." One mentioned the fact that the animals kept time - which brought up a neat thought about how nature participated.

There isn't a line in this song that doesn't speak to me. I can relate to the little drummer boy, as I believe all artists/writers can. I am a poor boy (girl, actually), with no gifts to bring, fit to give a King (Jesus). But all He wants is for us to show up and play our best for Him (or paint our best for Him, draw our best for Him, write our best for Him, or create our best for Him).
Then He smiled at me, me and my drum (or canvas, writing piece, etc.)

As we head into the busy Christmas season, remember the words of the "Little Drummer Boy." It has a deep spiritual message for each of us. Often we judge our "best" by how the world reacts to our artwork. But God doesn't see it that way. As an offering for Him, He only expects we show up and do our very best.

Then He smiles at you, you and your art...

Grace & peace,
Merry Christmas,
deAnn

No comments: